Chiefs Host Chargers on MNFSeptember 13th, 2010 by Lee Eldridge
I am pumped for tonight’s game. And there are many reasons to believe that a win is possible for the Chiefs tonight.
1. The Chargers are without their best wide receiver Vincent Jackson who is holding out for a new contract. The loss of Jackson takes away a lot of the team’s potency in the passing game.
2. The Chargers are without left tackle Marcus McNeill who is holding out for a new contract. Look for the Chiefs to bring pressure often against the left side of San Diego’s line.
3. The Chargers have been notoriously slow starters under head coach Norv Turner.
4. The Chargers will be integrating a number of new players into their lineup tonight, many of them not as talented as the players they’re replacing.
5. Is tonight the night that Arrowhead Magic returns? It’s been a long time since the Chiefs played on Monday night. The crowd will be electric as long as the Chiefs give them something to cheer about.
But having said all of that, the Chargers are still the most talented team in the division. And until somebody knocks them off their perch, they’re top dog around here. I expect Rivers, Gates and Mathews (who I’m predicting to win the offensive rookie of the year) to have big nights against our defense. And my expectation is that the Chiefs will be a better team later in the season that they will be tonight.
The media is making a big deal about this game. They’re setting the stage that if the Chiefs win, it could really catapult them into a good season. And that a loss would be devastating. They’re right that if the Chiefs win it means a lot, but a loss is still only one loss for a team that’s not likely to win the division anyway. The Chiefs need to be competitive tonight, win or lose. If the Chiefs win 7 or 8 games this year, as a Chiefs fan we should all feel good that the team is moving in the right direction, despite what happens tonight. The Chiefs might start the season 3-5 over the first half and that’s OK. Their record over their last eight games is more meaningful to me than their record over the first eight games. The Chiefs will be playing a lot of young players this season, and are going to make some mistakes. And let’s not forget that the Chiefs have two new coordinators who have brought their own systems to KC. Don’t jump off the bandwagon if the Chiefs lose.
Prediction: Chargers 24, Chiefs 13